Securing Secondary School Establishment Approval is key to making secondary education qualitative and functional if we must raise the falling standard of education in Nigeria as well as Africa in general. I have always said that Quality education is a sin qua non for societal development as no society or Nation can thrive without sound educational background.
Securing Secondary School Establishment Approval either as private or public secondary School will in no measure reduce the ways and manners illegal schools spring up in Africa‘s Educational system mostly in Nigeria the giant of African Continent. The federal Ministry of education on its own is not leaving any stone untorn ensuring that quality learning and teaching are achieved through monitoring and the provision of infrastructures in our schools.
When you want to study African growth and Development either sectorial or the entire sector of the system, Nigeria should serve as the study sample. This is for the fact that once you can get it right in Nigeria, it is basically assumed to have been corrected or must be corrected in other Countries of Africa going by the Nigerian population size. This is why not compromising quality Secondary Education in the Nigerian educational sector via securing Secondary School Establishment Approval will help to set the African Education sector.
SECONDARY SCHOOL ESTABLISHMENT APPROVAL AS KEY TO QUALITATIVE SECONDARY EDUCATION
With the majority if not all the Secondary Schools in Nigeria having secured Establishment Approval from the Ministry of Education, qualitative functional secondary education can be achieved through the following measures and activities:
- Eradication of Examination Malpractice
- Effective monitoring of Learning and Teaching in Nigerian Schools to ensure service delivery on the parts of Teachers and Students.
- A re-accreditation of the already approved secondary schools for up-to-date performance.
- The secondary Education Board of every state participating in the National Council on Education [N.C.E], Joint Consultative Committee on Education meetings for the standardization of the board.
- Consistent training of Teachers on the National Curriculum for more effective teaching and learning.
- Prompt payment of Teachers’ salaries and promotion allowances can help motivate teachers to put in their effort for better service delivery.
- Provision of the necessary teaching and learning equipment in the schools.
- Provision of necessary infrastructures in various schools of the federation.
- Provision of adequate security in Nigerian schools to curb the security menace ravaging the country’s education system.
- Recruitment of qualified teachers to ensure creativity and new innovations in the secondary education sector.
HOW TO CLAMP DOWN ILLEGAL SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA
Do not forget that any school that has no Secondary School Establishment Approval is An Illegal Secondary School. Illegal Secondary Schools are a serious threat to Quality education delivery and can crumble, in fact, it has crumbled the African Education System and Standards. Here is how it can be reduced because you can’t stop it due to poverty:
- States should organize a very elaborate and robust enlightenment campaign on the devastating effect of those unapproved schools.
- Village heads should be requested not to donate either land or building to any proprietor of an illegal school. This will compel them to do the right thing.
- Parents should be asked not to patronize any of these sub-standard schools.
- Private schools should be assisted with loans and grants by the Government since they are key players in the education sector.
- Robust monitoring and vigilance team or task force should be established to monitor the establishment of these illegal schools.
HOW TO SECURE SECONDARY SCHOOL ESTABLISHMENT APPROVAL
There is no much difference in the Secondary School Establishment Approval procedures compared to that of the Primary School Establishment Approval. However, I shall run through the steps again with a few additions since we are discussing the secondary education sector.
CHECK: Italy Government Scholarship
MINISTRY REQUIREMENT FOR BOTH PUBLIC & PRIVATE SECONDARY SCHOOL ESTABLISHMENT APPROVAL IN NIGERIA
Below are the basic requirements by the Ministry of Education thus:
- The school must be built in its permanent site of not less than four  Plots of land
- The property must be surveyed with the school name
- Must have at least six  standard classroom blocks with administrative blocks
- Must have some recreational facilities like the football field, basketball, Volleyball pitch, etc.
- Must have a perimeter fence for security reasons
- Must have functional laboratories like the Home Economics, Agricultural Science, Basic Science, and Technology laboratories. Etc.
- The school administrator must be an education-certified person.
- Must engage a minimum of eight qualified teachers for the Secondary school establishment and the administrative staff.
- Must start off from Junior Secondary School one [JSS1] – Junior Secondary School two [JSS2] and Senior Secondary one [SS1] and Senior Secondary for the first academic year.
Visit: Federal Ministry of Education
TYPES OF SECONDARY SCHOOL ESTABLISHMENT APPROVAL STAGES
Basically, there are two  types of Secondary school government approval stages. They are:
- Establishment approval: Comes before you take off
- Accreditation: This is given after your one year of operation basically for your JSS 3 Junior School Certificates in Education [JSCE] external examinations and Senior School Certificate Examinations [SSCE].
Note: Accreditation for the Senior School Certificate in Education, external Educational bodies like WAEC- West African Examination Council, NECO – National Examination Council in-collaboration with the State Ministry of Education are responsible. Watch out for the next publication on How to Secure WAEC and NECO Accreditation.
HOW TO GET YOUR SECONDARY SCHOOL ESTABLISHMENT APPROVAL
- Ensure you fulfill the above-stated conditions before going to the ministry of education for approval.
- Pick and pay for your establishment application form. The amount you pay varies and not much.
- Fill the form and submit it back to the ministry for further action.
- Pay up for your renewal fee for the year
- Submit the necessary documents especially your survey plan which must have been surveyed with the name of the school.
- Pick a date with the inspectorate for the necessary site inspections.
- Establishment approval will be given after the team is satisfied with their inspections which might be more than a single visit to ensure that you affected the necessary corrections and recommendations made by the team concerning your readiness to take-off.
- Follow up on your file to avoid delays.
With the above steps carefully taken, you are good to go with your Secondary School Establishment Approval by the State Government, and your school can be rated and listed among the approved schools in Nigeria.