Just as the scheme of work and the syllables are veritable instructional material so also the weekly lesson note. As the scheme of work is drawn and developed from the syllables so also the weekly lesson note. The essence of the weekly lesson note is to adequately prepare and equip a teacher for an indebt knowledge of a subject matter to be taught. The end result of a well-developed note of lesson is effective teaching and learning.
We must commend the conscious effort of the Federal Ministry of Education, Universal Basic Education Commission [UBEC], Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria [TRCN], and other Non-governmental organizations in ensuring that quality education is rendered to every African Child, Nigeria in particular. this is for the fact that quality education is the sine qua non to any meaningful development of any state or nation. It is the bedrock of civilization and a tool for inculcating the values and social transformation of any progressive society.
IMPORTANCE OF WEEKLY LESSON NOTES
- It is one sure way of ensuring that teachers prepare their lessons adequately before delivery.
- Lesson notes /plans demand that teachers should select topics from the scheme of work and write clear lessons with specific and measurable objectives.
- It demands that teachers must show evidence of previous knowledge possessed by learners which are relevant to the new lesson [Entry Behavior].
- A break of the lesson content into step by step logical sequence, including the learners/teachers’ activities in the course of the lesson [content development] is part of the record.
- Skills employed by the teacher and a well-thought-out evaluation strategy are also covered.
READ ALSO: How To Develop Weekly Lesson Plan For Effective Teaching And Learning
SAMPLE OF A STANDARD WEEKLY LESSON NOTE
Below is a well-developed sample of a standard weekly lesson note. Study it very carefully especially the features and try developing yours following the procedures, thus:
A LESSON NOTE ON THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
CLASS – BASIC 5A
AGE – 9YRS
SEX – MIXED
TIME – 35 MINUTES
DATE – 31 – 03 – 2021
TOPIC: READING COMPREHENSION
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES: By the end of the lesson, learners should be able to:
- Read the passages fluently with good intonation and articulation.
- Understand the meaning of the passage read
- Narrate the passage in their mother’s tongue
- Pictures/ pictures from the passage to be read
- Question and answering
Learners have learned the new words from the passage to be read. They will be able to make simple sentences with the difficult words from the passage.
The teacher arouses learner’s interest by asking them questions based on their previous knowledge, thus:
- Spell and pronounce “ Atlanta, Aphrodite, Ignore
- Tell me the meaning of the words in the flashcard:
INSTRUCTIONAL PROCEDURES: TEACHER’S ACTIVITIES:
STEP!: The teacher writes the topic on the board for learners to read, shows the pictures in the passage for them to observe, and explains. The Teacher allows them to ask questions where necessary for clarification, thus: “READING OF COMPREHENSION PASSAGES”.
LEARNER’S ACTIVITY: Learners repeats the topic after the Teacher, observes the passage, and ask questions where necessary for more clarification.
STEP2: The Teacher checks Learners reading text, organizes them in a way that every one of them will be seeing the passages and the flashcards they are about to read. The teacher reads the comprehension passage first, explains the passage, and drills them on how to read the comprehension passage. The Teacher shows Learners some reading patterns and allows them to read alone.
LEARNER’S ACTIVITY: Learners are to pay rapt attention to the teacher and respond according to his or her instructions. They also read the passage s many times as possible.
STEP3: the Teacher groups the class into smaller units, assigns each unit with a leader while the Teacher will be the overall supervisor, and gives them corrections where the need arises. At the end of the whole exercise, the teacher praises the winning unit and encourages other groups to put in more effort next class.
EVALUATION: The teacher evaluates Learners by asking them some oral questions based on the lesson taught to determine how far the objectives have been achieved, thus:
- Who can read the passages fluently?
- Princess, can you explain the passage read?
- Who can narrate the story using your mother tongue?
SUMMARY: The Teacher summarizes the lesson by gathering the groups together and ask them to read the passage together at a time. The teacher also narrates the story and asks the class to answer the questions in the comprehension passage.
FEATURES OF A STANDARD WEEKLY LESSON NOTE
There are standard procedures that must be visible and carefully observed while developing a standard weekly lesson note, thus:
- The caption briefly giving an overview of the class.
- The topic to be taught must be boldly stated
- Specific objectives: what you intend to achieve by the end of the lesson must be clearly stated.
- Instruction materials stating the teaching aids intended to use during the delivery of the developed lesson
- Instructional procedures are also clearly stipulated in a standard weekly lesson note.
- Entry behavior: In teaching and learning, you start from the known to the unknown.
- Set induction as a feature in a weekly lesson note induces and arouses the interest of learners with questions drawn from their previous knowledge and sets them ready for the new lesson of the week.
- Instructional procedures feature the teacher’s activities in the cause of delivering the lesson delivered with each of the steps taken clearly stated followed by the learner’s expected activities in each of the steps unto the end of the entire lesson.
- Evaluation: The teacher evaluates the lesson that by drawing questions from the lesson taught making sure that the specific objectives are achieved.
- Summary: This feature enables the teacher to recap his or her lesson after the evaluation giving necessary corrections for clarity purposes.
- Closure: This particular feature of a weekly lesson note sees the teacher or instructor giving notes, assignments to learners and formally closing the class for their next lesson to commence.
With these procedures carefully followed, one can be assured of writing, better still, preparing a perfect, standard weekly lesson note. The beauty of the whole idea is that it makes the teacher research more on the very topic the teacher wishes to deliver thereby giving the teacher mastery of the subject matter and a beautiful learning experience for learners.
Contact us for further details on 08083549099 and for one–on–one professional advice. Drop your questions and comments on the comment box below and follow us on all our social media handles.