The Vanier Canada graduate scholarship also called the government of Canada scholarship for graduate students was actually named after Major General Georges P. Vanier, the 1st French-speaking [francophone] Governor-General of Canada. The Vanier Canada graduate scholarship program was officially launched in 2008 by the Canadian Government with the intention of:
- Strengthening Canadian ability to attract and retain the bests world-class Ph.D. students, and
- Establishing Canada as one of the global centers of excellence in research and higher learning
Some of the top qualities associated with Vanier Canada graduate scholarship scholars are leadership skills, a very high standard of academic excellence, and research potentials. These great qualities will be put to test and proven by scholars in the fields of social sciences and humanities, natural sciences and engineering, and health.
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship program is basically designed for Doctorate degree [Ph.D.] students only. This is to say that the scholarship program is designed only for those going for their doctorate degree program, and nothing more.
THE SCOPE OF THE VENIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP 2022
The scholarship program receives up to 166 scholars annually. This means that up to 166 scholarships are awarded yearly by the Canadian government to Ph.D. students covering
- School of Social sciences and humanities
- School of natural sciences and engineering, and
- Health researches.
VENIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP VALUE/TYPE OF FUNDING
- Partially funded
- The scholarship is valued at $50, 000 per year.
- This amount will be given to successful candidates for 3 years while the scholarship lasts.
VENIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP DURATION
The scholarship program is 3 years non-renewable
CANADIAN SCHOLARSHIPS GRANTING AGENCIES
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship is distributed equally between these 3 federal scholarship-granting agencies via the instructions, thus:
- The Canadian Social Science and Humanity Research Council [SSHRC]
- The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council [NSERC].
- The Canadian Institutes of Health Research [CIHR].
VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP PH.D. RESEARCH AREAS
- Natural sciences and Engineering
- Social sciences and humanities
- Health research
VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY
Candidates are selected based on the following citizenship eligibility:
- Foreign citizens [All nations of the world]
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP TIMELINES UPDATES
- Applicants seeking a nomination university submit an application – July – November 2021
- Deadline for candidates to submit an application to their choice institution for nomination, and contacts the institution for a possible date – internal deadline varies with institutions.
- Deadline for universities to submit nominations – Nov. 2nd, 2021 [20:00EST].
- Review/evaluation of nominations – Nov.2021 – March 2022.
- Proposed notification of results via nominees’ email address, and Research net – Early April 2022.
- Payments begin – May 1st, 2022, Sept.1st, 2022, or Jan. 1st, 2023.
VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP SELECTION CRITERIA
Nomination/selection of candidates are done judging these three pillars:
- Academic excellence based on his or her academic records such as candidates transcripts, Duration of previous studies, courses pursued and the requirements, course load, institution comments, etc.
- Research potentials based on and candidates academic training and relevant work experience, and
- Leadership potentials based on personal achievements.
VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP NOMINATION PROCEDURES
The nomination of candidates must come from or be nominated by a Canadian university with a scholarship quota. Candidates are to seek nominations from the university they want to study.
VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP COMPLETE NOMINATION REQUIREMENTS
The following documents must be submitted and requirements met for a complete nomination to be guaranteed, thus:
- Candidate’s application details [form]
- Canadian common CV [CCV]
- A two pages nomination letter [maximum] signed by the department head of the nominating university.
- Institution transcripts are scanned and attached by the institution’s administrative staff.
- Two pages [maximum] personal leadership statement; a self-evaluation letter written by the student.
- Two leadership reference letters, written by someone who knows the candidate at a non-academic level. The letters should be attached to the nomination by the candidate.
- Research proposal, written by the student [maximum of 2 pages].
- Project references written by the student [maximum of 5 pages].
- Research contributions, written by the student not more than a page.
- Two referee assessments- 3 sections each.
- Special circumstances [optional] written by the student
Click to view every necessary detail.
VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP INSTITUTIONS WITH QUOTA
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship quotas are distributed to all the reputable Canadian universities for the nomination of candidates on a triennial basis. Below is the comprehensive of Canadian universities with Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship triennial nomination quotas terminating with the 2020 – 2021 session. The list is arranged alphabetically for your perusal, thus:
- Acadia University
- Athabasca University
- Brock University
- Carleton University
- Concordia University/ Université Concordia
- Dalhousie University
- École de technologie supérieure
- École nationale d’administration publique
- École Polytechnique de Montréal
- HEC Montréal
- Institut national de la recherche scientifique
- Lake Head University
- Laurentian University/ Université Laurentienne
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- Nipissing University
- Queen’s University
- Royal Military College/ Le Collège militaire royal du Canada
- Royal Roads University
- Ryerson University
- Saint Mary’s University
- Simon Fraser University
- St. Francis Xavier University
- Télé-université (Téluq)
- Trent University
- Université de Moncton
- Université de Montréal
- Université de Sherbrooke
- Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Université du Québec à Montréal
- Université du Québec à Rimouski
- Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
- Université du Québec en Outaouais
- Université Laval
- University of Alberta
- University of British Columbia
- University of Calgary
- University of Guelph
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Manitoba
- University of New Brunswick
- University of Northern British Columbia
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- University of Ottawa/ Université d’Ottawa
- University of Prince Edward Island
- University of Regina
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Toronto
- University of Victoria
- University of Waterloo
- University of Western Ontario
- University of Windsor
- Wilfrid Laurier University
- York University
Click here to see more details of the Vanier Canada Graduate scholarship institutional quotas spreadsheet for the 2018/2019, 2019/2020, and 2020/2021 academic session
HOW TO APPLY FOR VANIER CANADA GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP 2022
- Start by choosing a Canadian university [of your choice] with Vanier’s graduate scholarship quota.
- Go to Research Net and fill the application form.
- Ensure you meet all the scholarship application requirements.
- You can fill the application form either in English language or French.
- Make sure you attach the necessary documents in your application, check, and submit before the deadline.
- Make sure you submit your application to the nominating institution before their internal deadline.
- After submission, the nominating university will forward their nominations to the secretariat.
- Ensure you go with one institution nomination even if more than one institution is willing to nominate you. Choose one institution in the case of multiple nominations to avoid rejection of your application by the council.
- Follow up on your nominating institution/university to know when you are selected.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY
Let us know your reaction to all our articles by commenting on the comment box right below the page. This will help us serve you better. Follow all our social media handles.
Williams Education Foundation blog Team!