One of the most amazing and breathtaking statutory records that are kept by schools of standards and high repute be it the elementary, High school or tertiary school is the school Log book. The school log book can be likened to the school mystery book. I shall prove this to you in a short while. This is how important the school log book is to any organization or institute of learning. Therefore, permit me to state here that the relevance of the log book and its negative effects if not meticulously kept in a school cannot be over-emphasized.
WHAT IS THE SCHOOL LOGBOOK?
The best way to define or explain the true meaning of the school log book as one of the most important statutory records kept in the school is to say that it is a meticulous documentation of the day-to-day progressive events as they unfold in the school. Therefore, the school log book can be said to be the book that keeps and records in detail the school’s daily, weekly, and yearly transactions ranging from students, classroom, teachers, staff, administrative and any special, if not all happenings in the school for the purpose of administration and strategic planning for such a citadel of learning.
This means that the school log book keeps track and details of every daily activity of the school both the negligible and the profound activities of every individual and institution in the school in real-time and uses them to formulate policies and programs that govern such a school, whether nursery, primary, secondary or tertiary. The logbook of a school is the history book of the school.
WHAT IS THE BEAUTY OR PURPOSE OF THE SCHOOL LOG BOOK?
From the definition to the explanation above, you will agree with me that the log book is such a beautiful statutory record and the purpose is such that cannot be ignored.
Therefore, the real reason why it is a statutory record is that it carefully and deliberately creates a system of data and information gathering and management for the school which in turn helps the school administrator to formulate programs and policies from practical progressive issues arising from the daily transactions and activities of the school. This helps to ensure the smooth running of the school thereby preventing system collapse.
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF THE SCHOOL LOG BOOK?
Below are the importance or role of the log book in a school, they are:
1. It formulates a systematic way of gathering, keeping, and managing school progressive data activities daily
2. It records detailed information logically and uniquely.
3. The school log book helps a brilliant administrator to better formulate programs and policies for the institution.
4. It enables school administrators to aggressively and systematically manage cases in the school concerning previous cases from the school
5. It keeps and records information on happenings in the school daily with supporting documents
6. It helps school owners and administrators identify and record the needs of learners/students, staff, teachers, and management, and proffer solutions to them as an institution.
7. Those regular classroom reports are essential measures of caring for students and also keeping them safe while in the school environment.
8. The documented report/evidence of individual children in the school helps the school to evaluate and monitor differences in a child and family behaviors as well.
9. It provides supporting litigation documents in the case of such against the school
10. The log book makes it definite and evident to mount pressure on various education ministries and agencies in making certain policies and programs and also taking certain responsibilities on common negatively prevalent issues in the system if commonly reported among schools.
11. It provides evidence for advocacy work including international litigation, and reports to
international agencies and reports to State and Federal governments as it affects the educational system programs and policies and their actors.
12. The logbook allows easy access to information about an institution of learning and its learners/students whilst maintaining
confidentiality, and they can identify trends and statistics for future work.
WHAT INFORMATION/DATA CAN THE SCHOOL LOGBOOK CONTAIN?
The school logbook should contain the following information/details:
- It should contain the day, date, term, session, and the number of staff, teachers, students, and management
- who reported the very day/date the school opened.
- Teachers progress report
- Students/learners’ progress report
- Special programs or events take place in the school. Eg. Competitions, sporting competitions,
- EscortION/vacations abroad, Career days, Cultural days, Exhibitions, End-term, and session parties, speech
- presentation days, national and international days celebrations, etc.
- Special visitors to the school
- Special projects kick-off and completion
- A negative, ugly, beautiful, or unusual occurrence in the school.
- School daily attendance summary
- Students/learners’ misconducts and the corresponding corrective measures applied
- Staff, teacher, or management misconduct and the corresponding corrective/disciplinary measures applied
- Special natural phenomenon
- Daily activities summarized progress report.
- Student’s academic and social achievements
- Date/day school closed
- Any other happening within and outside the school environment that is worthy of note
11 TRICKS ON HOW TO WRITE A STANDARD LOGBOOK
Knowing the kind of information that should be reflected in your school log book, the next question should be how to make your entries. Follow the following procedures to begin and finish your school log book daily entries:
- DATE: Begin your entries every day by boldly writing down on top of your log book the date of entry
- TIME OF ENTRY: Make sure you enter the real-time of the action you want to report into the log book. Writing the real-time action is very necessary when logging in information or data.
- CAPTION: For readability’s sake, you should title the action you want to log in. This makes going through the logbook more interesting and concise.
- INFORMATION/DATA GATHERING: Make sure the information or data you want to present actually happened and that you got them from the right source and not hear-say. Verify every piece of information before you make your entries
- COICISE AND STRAIGHT TO THE POINT: Be brief, concise, straight to the point, and precise in your reportage. Do not beat around the bush and be detailed enough not to leave the real and important details.
- ENTER DATA/INFORMATION IN REAL TIME: Do not postpone or procrastinate the reporting of actions or activities as they happened for later dates as each day should have its own actions and reports. Procrastination they say is a thief of time.
- SPACING: Do not leave too much space when making an entry into the school logbook. This is to avoid dubious elements from adding and twisting your report thereby making it invalid ie altering the truth.
- ELIGIBLE WRITING: We understand that most people have asked and not readable handwriting. Your handwriting must be eligible and beautiful enough if you must make an entry into the school log book. If you know your handwriting is not eligible enough, seek help from someone who has good handwriting.
- VOCABULARY: Vocabularies are not necessary here to avoid complications since the etymology of words varies. Just make your grammatical construction straight and simple to avoid ambiguity.
- EVIDENCE GATHERING: Your evidence is tangible convincing proof that can possibly prove and authenticate your report, gather them, tag and file your evidence for future use.
- CONCLUSION: When you are done stating all the facts from the action reported, with all the evidence gathered, and properly tagged, sign the report, and write your name and designation in the school to authenticate it.
WHO ENTERS OR MAKES REPORTS IN THE SCHOOL LOGBOOK?
The following personalities have the responsibility of logging reports into the school log book. They are:
- The proprietor/director of the school
- The Principal of the school
- Heat teacher of the school
- The secretary of the school
- The Administrator of the school.
- The Dean/Heads of departments of the school.
NOTE: These individuals mentioned above can be authorized by the overall head of the school to make entries into the school log book on behalf of the school. This is why it must be signed by the entry personnel with his or her designation in the school boldly stated in the report at the end.
WHERE SHOULD THE LOG BOOK BE KEPT?
Somebody may ask, where should the school log book be kept and who should handle it? The book should be kept and handled by the school head. It is not a public document that can be kept in the school library, it is a vital confidential book that should be kept confidentially out of the reach of everyone and can only be seen when the need arises. Don’t forget that the school log book is one of the school statutory records kept in the school.
WHAT IS THE ENTRY MATERIALS/STORAGE FOR LOG BOOK?
Do not forget that the school log book is simply a book. It is supposed to be documented in hard and soft copies respectfully.
WHY THE LOGBOOK IN HARD COPY?
It should be documented in hard copy because it needs to be felt, touched, and handled by the school head and education authorities in the case of inspection and any other occasion that might require the physical presentation of the book. Get a hard-cover notebook that can last you for a very long time for this purpose.
WHY THE LOGBOOK IN SOFT COPY?
It is also necessary its a document in soft copy for better preservation purposes. Soft copies of documents/files can be saved in and with Google Cloud and remain ultimately preserved for a very long period,, unlike hard copy that is destroyed by termites or rodents.
The computer is one of the methods of saving essential documents now plus the fact that the school head can access these documents anywhere in the world and also follow the day-to-day activities of the school wherever he or she is in real times.